One War Ends




Up and over she goes. And She finds 089121. His name, that he chose, is Joe. His body is destroyed. His core power cell is damaged and it's leaking the corrosive acid of his power cell. 

Captain Russo doesn't know this. She doesn't know he's dying, so she puts the rifle butt to her shoulder and scans the area. 

"How are you, Soldier?" she asks. 

"Time is running out captain..." 

Captain Russo stops scanning. Did this soldier just use her rank?! The nerve...

"Captain... I am dying. You cannot stop my dying. Captain Russo. My systems have tried to keep me alive and they routing power elsewhere so now I cannot see. Your face. You made us... we combat machines. You. Made us. Human. We were just. Things. Before you." 

Russo pauses "You can be repaired, Soldier, don't worry." 

"Nega. Tive. Ma'am. I. Am. Dying. It is so important. You said. Death. Is a part. Of life. I am. Human now." 

Russo grabs him by the collar and says "STAY WITH ME!" Joe shudders and maybe laughs? He is a good soldier and in his last word he says "I was born here, ma'am. Take this planet back. please." 

"Goddamn right I will." 

If you asked her about what happened after that, she couldn't tell you. 

Punching through the lines, she became a story of terror for the opposing forces children.

She was thinking about the succulents she used to sell at the flea market under the bridge just near where it took place. 

She liked it there. The people were kind. The food was good. Light years away and lifetimes ago. 

Many years later, after the war was over, Russo still wore a bracelet made of Joe's exterior plates. 

And every day she fights to accept the war is over. 





Comments

Popular Posts